Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Google Buzz, Social Media Spork

I gotta be honest here - I eat my spaghetti and meatballs on separate plates. I don't like it when people dribble their Twitter conversations into my Facebook Feed. I won't buy my cable, computer and phone access from one company. And I don't like Sporks.

There are people who want one tool to do everything. They carry around multipurpose tools the size of a loaf of bread and are all chuffed when that 5/8" sprocket is just what is needed. Those people are always looking to automate their way to Social Media fame, because hey, what does it matter that their audience is composed of folks who like three different things about their business - it's all about their convenience.

Google wants to be your only tool. It's not enough to offer excellent search and email. No, they know better than you that you want *one* place that will do everything.

Only...I don't. Google's offering me a spork when I want a spoon, a fork and a knife. Specialized tools for specialized jobs. Perhaps this comes from my quarter century working as a researcher. You don't look up pipeline data on a humanities database. You use the right tool for the job.

If you want it all under one roof, clearly, Google's got you covered. But for those of us who prefer to talk to different networks differently, or use specialized tools that are good for what they are supposed to be used for...well, let's just say that Bing's looking better and better these days to me.

Dear Google, congratulations on your new Spork. I hope it goes better than Wave.

No comments:

Project Wonderful

ShareThis