Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Short Case Study of Wasted Social Media Opportunity

When a company finally comes around to the decision that Social Media is worth the effort, there are many questions that have to be addressed in order to develop an *effective* strategy. However, instead of focusing on how to use Social Media, companies often run invest in over-complex, under-utilized systems, when all that's really needed is a simple, clear strategy. Today's post is a look at an example of a wasted Social Media opportunity.

I'm currently in Salem, MA, where I find I've run into a little problem - I can't get a decent cup of coffee. After trying coffee at a number of locations, I'm beginning to despair. I turned to Twitter, to reach out to locals that might be in my network. Within seconds I received a simple, direct answer from the Hawthorne Hotel. They said that they stand by their coffee. Cost to them? 30 seconds of time. We immediately decided to give them a try.

But, when we arrived to partake of this decent coffee, the maitre d' couldn't find us a seat in a half-empty dining room. We were told that they were booked, and if we waited more than an hour, they might be able to squeeze us in.

It was such a brilliant example of why Social Media Strategy needs to be planned. Did last night's message need to come with a warning to reserve a table? Did the Hotel tweeter need to check w/the restaurant first? Clearly there was a massive disconnect between the one and the other. And the loss was more than just two meals - if we had loved that coffee, we might have been back over and over. And I might have raved on all my Social Media spaces, driving more business to them.

I've seen this before - Social Media that offers with one hand, and reality that takes away with the other. Before you tell your viewers to "Fan us on our Facebook Page" think about what you will be offering them - what is their motivation to be your "Fan"? Will you offer enough to keep them there? And if you run a promotional campaign through that space, will they get what you're offering?

It may be true that "If you build it they will come," but on Social Media you're going to want to know what you are building and what your customers will see when they get there. Otherwise, it's a wasted opportunity.

4 comments:

Juli Lederhaus said...

It is my understanding that we even offered you a complimentary cup of coffee when we could not seat you, but you didn't want that. Was this about getting a good cup of coffee or something else?

Does having a full reservation book mean we should simply seat anyone who walks in and not hold the tables for the guests who did call ahead for reservations? I am not sure how we failed you?

We offered you many other alternatives but you would not be satisfied by any of our other suggestions of hospitality. This article is hardly fair.

Juli Lederhaus

Erica Fredman said...

@Juli - Then there was definitely a misunderstanding, because it was *our* belief that that was for hotel guests. I'm not sure what "other options" you're referring to, in all honesty.

My point is that, if there is a high likelihood that reservations will be needed - that has to be part of the communication. It would have been find to learn that up front.

I don't blame you, or anyone at the hotel for poor service, just incomplete communication.

Juli Lederhaus said...

Erica,

I did TWEET that reservations were needed for brunch that day, in fact not once but twice, the second one stating that we were full up for the first seating.

As you well know, there is only so much space in a TWEET for communications. I did the best I knew how to do. Am still learning this whole SM thing, for while I have been blogging a long time, just really started on Twitter and FB recently.

I'll keep on learning. . .

Juli

Erica Fredman said...

Juli - I did not receive those tweets, so again, there was some confusion of communication. I assure you, my intent was merely to have breakfast. In fact - my first version of this post was to sing your praises, assuming I was going to have a good breakfast. This just goes to show that it's important to have a complete, well-conceived strategy for Social Media communication, or opportunities get missed.

Project Wonderful

ShareThis