Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Social Will Template - In Case of Emergency

Recently, an online acquaintance of mine died suddenly. It occurred to me at that time, that those of us who have multiple online presences haven't yet dealt with what to do with them when we pass away.

So, I've created a template for what I'm referring to as a "Social Will" - a document that will designate a representative to close, delete, or leave active all your social media and online profiles. It's not yet a legal document, but it's a REALLY good idea to have someone who can tell your online acquaintances what happened and close/delete accounts you'd rather not have lingering around.

Here's the bare bones template for a Social Will - customize it as you like. I hope it starts a trend of making us consider our online lives as significant a part of ourselves as our real world lives.

****

Social Will

I, (your name) being of sound mind and body, on (date), do hereby make my wishes known for the disposition of my online profiles in the case of my death.

Contacts

In case of emergency that includes hospitalization or death, I ask that my legal representatives or survivors please contact the following people and ask them to spread the word to their respective communities (specify communities if you need/want)


Primary Contact Name
email:
phone:
other contact info

Secondary Contact Name:
email:
phone:
other contact info


Designation of Social Will Executor and Duties:

I hereby name (contact) my Social Will executor and ask that s/he contact the following sites to take the actions I have outlined.


Profiles

Here are a list of my online profiles and what I wish for each if I am deceased:

Site Name
Your Profile Name - Action you chose for profile (Close, Delete, Leave Open)
User name:
Password:


Site Name
Your Profile Name - Action you chose for profile (Close, Delete, Leave Open)
User name:
Password:

Site Name
Your Profile Name - Action you chose for profile (Close, Delete, Leave Open)
User name:
Password:

(repeat as necessary)


Your Name

______________________________
Signature (Date)



Witness 1


Name

______________________________

Signature (Date)



Witness 2


Name

______________________________
Signature (Date)

No comments:

Project Wonderful

ShareThis